If you like dyeing your hair and transforming it into beautiful vibrant colors, you may have wondered if you can add conditioner to boost color between dyes.
Some people think it can help prolong the shine and color of your hair. Others want to try it out, thinking it will ease the dyeing process.
I have tried it, and the truth is that you can mix hair dye and conditioner to boost your hair’s color.
What will happen when You Mix Hair Dye with Conditioner?
Before you add hair dye to the conditioner, you should know that it will lighten the color of your dye. The conditioner dilutes the shade, making it less powerful.
If you wish to dilute permanent dye for less vibrant dye, mixing it with a conditioner is the way to go.
However, you can also use a dye and conditioner mixture on dyed hair to refresh its color. This keeps your hair looking good all the time as it waits for the subsequent full-color treatment.
You have to add a little of your dye into your conditioner, and it will increase the time you have to wait until the next you will need to color it again.
How to Mix Your Semi-Permanent Dye and Conditioner
50% of women in America add color to their hair. They use semi-permanent and permanent colors to transform their hair into the desired shade.
Whichever color you choose, you can add conditioner to nourish the hair while giving it the color you want. Here are the steps to follow when using a semi-permanent.
- Get a vibrant hair dye with colors such as pink, orange, bulge, or green. They are great when you mix your hair dye with conditioner because the color remains effective.
- Get a white conditioner and avoid colored ones. Some color ingredients can affect how the hair dye transforms your hair.
- Mix a third cup of conditioner with a single tablespoon of your semi-permanent dye. Put them in a disposable container or cup.
- Mix these two ingredients and ensure the dye is integrated into your white conditioner.
- Apply it just like you would when using your hair dye. Give it up to thirty minutes before washing it off. You can keep the mixture longer, depending on your preferred shade.
However, when using a semi-permanent dye and conditioner mixture, remember that the dye is not resistant.
Even before adding the conditioner, the dye is already weak. Its color and durability are affected.
The semi-permanent color will wash off faster when mixed with the conditioner. Besides, choose a non-silicone conditioner to prevent unpleasant chemical reactions.
- It boosts your color shade between full-color treatments.
- Keeps your hair moisturized during the coloring process.
- Easy to use at home.
- Reduces the effectiveness of the dye.
- It makes the dye wash away easily.
Yes, you can mix dye and conditioner. This mixture gives brilliant results, especially if you want an adventurous color for your hair. The conditioner works best with semi-permanent dyes because they don’t need a developer. It does not mix well with a permanent dye and can cause uneven dye bonding in your hair.
When you add conditioner to your permanent dye, it will reduce the effectiveness of the dye. However, it does soften your hair and prevent damage to some extent. Choose the conditioner to use carefully because colored conditioners or those with silicone may affect your results.
You cannot replace your hair dye developer with the conditioner. In fact, it is not replaceable. You have to use your dye as instructed by the manufacturer. If you do not want to use a developer, buy an ammonia-based dye or one that doesn’t require a developer. But most dyes without a developer deposit the hair color on the hair’s surface.
Mixing your dye with a hair conditioner will make the dye penetrate deep into your hair follicles. But when you wash it off with water, the color will be rinsed out. This leaves you with faded shade. So, adding conditioner to your dye will not make it last longer.
Besides boosting your hair color between dyes, mixing your dye with conditioner is beneficial. It comes in handy whenever you want to rejuvenate your hair’s appearance. The hair becomes shiny and soft with outstanding color highlights. Combine the two, and you will love the hair’s glow.