As a beautician, one of the most common questions I get from clients with dark, brassy, copper hair is, “Can I apply a t18 toner to tone my hair?” The answer is yes, you can use a t18 toner to tone your brassy hair, but there are some things you should know before doing so.
First and foremost, what is a t18 toner? A toner is a semi-permanent hair color that neutralizes unwanted brassy or yellow tones.
T18 is a popular toner shade from the Wella Color Charm line designed to neutralize bleached hair’s unwanted yellow tones. However, it can also be used on darker hair to tone down brassy or coppery tones.
Now, let’s dive into the actionable tips for using a t18 toner on dark, brassy, copper hair:
- Make sure your hair is at the right level of lightness: T18 toner works best on hair that is a pale yellow or almost white color. The toner will only be effective if your hair is light enough. If you need to check if your hair is light enough, consult a professional before using a toner at home.
- Use the right developer: T18 toner should be mixed with a 20-volume developer for best results. This developer strength is strong enough to lift some of the darker brassy tones but not so strong that it will damage your hair.
- Apply the toner evenly: Make sure to apply the toner evenly throughout your hair to avoid any patchy or uneven coloring. Use a brush to apply the toner, and make sure to saturate all of your hair evenly.
- Leave the toner on for the recommended time: The recommended processing time for the t18 toner is usually around 20-30 minutes, but read the instructions on the packaging carefully. Leaving the toner on for too long can result in a purple or gray tint to your hair.
Now, let’s discuss the pros and cons of using a t18 toner on dark, brassy, copper hair:
- T18 toner can help neutralize unwanted brassy or yellow tones in hair, making it appear more cool-toned.
- Using a toner is a quick and easy way to refresh your hair color without dyeing it fully.
- T18 toner is affordable and easily found at most beauty supply stores.
- If your hair is too dark, the toner may not be effective.
- Leaving the toner on too long can result in an unwanted purple or gray tint to your hair.
- Using a toner too frequently can lead to dryness and damage to your hair.
In conclusion, while using a t18 toner to tone dark, brassy, copper hair is possible, it’s important to ensure your hair is at the right level of lightness and to follow the instructions carefully to avoid unwanted results.
Consult a professional hairstylist for guidance if you need help using a toner at home. And always remember to take good care of your hair by using nourishing hair products and avoiding excessive heat styling or chemical treatments.