If you have orange hair, you may wonder if it’s possible to dye it blue. The good news is that it is possible, but there are some things you need to consider before taking the plunge.
This post will discuss everything you need to know about putting blue dye over orange hair.
Understanding Color Theory
Before we get into the details of blue dye over orange hair, we must understand color theory. The color wheel is a helpful tool to help you understand how different colors work together.
The colors opposite each other on the wheel are complementary, enhancing each other when paired.
Choosing the Right Blue Dye
Orange and blue are complementary colors, which means they can work well together when used correctly.
When dyeing your hair blue over orange hair, it’s crucial to choose the right shade of blue. If you choose a blue that is too light or too dark, it may not cover the orange tones in your hair.
It’s best to choose a blue darker than your hair’s orange tones. A dark navy blue or royal blue can work well in this situation.
Preparing Your Hair
Before dyeing your hair, it’s crucial to prepare it properly. Orange hair can be difficult to dye because it often has a lot of brassiness or warmth. To prepare your hair, you can follow these steps:
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove any buildup or residue.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment to hydrate and nourish your hair.
- Apply a toner to neutralize any brassiness or warmth in your hair.
- Wait a few days before dyeing your hair to allow your hair to recover from the toner.
Dyeing Your Hair Blue
Now that your hair is prepared, it’s time to dye it blue. Here’s how you can do it:
- Mix the blue hair dye according to the instructions on the package.
- Apply the dye to your hair, starting at the roots and working down to the ends.
- Use a comb to distribute the dye evenly through your hair.
- Leave the dye on your hair for the recommended time, usually 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse the dye out with cool water until the water runs clear.
- Apply a conditioner to your hair to hydrate and nourish it.
Maintaining Your Blue Hair.
Once you’ve dyed your hair blue, it’s essential to maintain it properly. Here are some tips for maintaining your blue hair:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to prevent the color from fading.
- Avoid using hot tools on your hair, as they can cause the color to fade.
- Wear a hat or scarf outside to protect your hair from the sun.
- Touch up your roots regularly to maintain the color.
- Use a color-depositing conditioner to refresh the color between touch-ups.
In conclusion, you can put blue dye over orange hair, but choosing the right shade of blue is crucial and preparing your hair properly.
Maintaining your hair properly is essential to keep the color looking vibrant and fresh. With these tips, you can achieve the blue hair of your dreams, even if you have orange hair.