It’s no secret that we’d all love to have a perfect hairstyle to complete a flawless appearance.
Curls do not only make you stand out with elegance and a charming look. But they are also versatile, and you can wear synthetic hair in many different styles.
More so if you’re bored with your current look and want to try something new or make a new look.
Of course, curling your hair is the most excellent way to achieve your desired style and look. However, you must be extra careful when curling your synthetic hair too. And why’s that?
They are made of plastic– not usually heat resistant and melt when exposed to high temperatures.
Meaning you can’t curl your synthetic wigs with a curling iron as you would do to your natural hair.
But what’s the safest way to curl your synthetic hair without damaging them?
This article takes you through every step you must follow to ensure you get your amazing curls by using the heat-free solution. No more breakage, melted hair, or fried ends; follow the tips below.
Is it Good or Bad to Curl a Synthetic Wig?
Using heat-styling tools like curling irons on synthetic wigs is generally not recommended. Synthetic wigs are made of synthetic fibers that can melt or damage if exposed to high temperatures. Heat can also cause the wig to lose its shape or become frizzy.
If you want to curl a synthetic wig, there are safer ways. You can use foam rollers or flexi rods to create curls without heat. Roll small sections of the wig onto the rollers or rods and let them set overnight. Once the curls have been set, remove the rollers or rods and gently finger-comb the curls.
Another option is to use a low-heat setting on a hair dryer and a round brush to style the wig. This method can add volume and body to the wig without damaging the synthetic fibers.
It’s always best to check the manufacturer’s instructions before curling or styling a synthetic wig to avoid damaging it.
Brush and Wash or Wet Your Hair.
Your hair might have tangles or knots that may worsen while washing them in water.
So, your first step should be to gently brush out the fibers of your synthetic curly using a wig brush or a wide-tooth comb.
This would ensure you section the hair into smaller units to make it easier to work with.
Brushing also ensures lovely curls without tangles and snags that may cause hair breakage. Still, you can use hydrating detangling shampoos to make your hair a little wet and help smoothen your hair for easy combing.
You may also moisturize your hair by spraying a small amount of cream-based moisturizers onto your palm and running the moisture through your hair. Even better, use some hair conditioners at the ends of your hair to make it more manageable.
You should, however, avoid brushing your synthetic hair immediately after washing it. That is because the hair is weak and more prone to tangling when it’s wet. It may also lead to hair breakage. Therefore, ensure you dry your hair after washing or wetting it.
The best way to brush your hair is to begin at the tips of your hair and gently comb in a downward motion working up to the roots.
For those who prefer styling their wigs while wearing them, you can also use a wig stand, as it gives you greater control and a view of your head from all angles.
When Washing Your Hair
- Mix cold water with a wig-friendly shampoo (you can soak it for some time) and gently massage your synthetic hair.
- Rinse the shampoo with cold water- allow the water to flow from top to tip of the wig. (Ensure the wig is thoroughly rinsed to prevent any leftover that may cause greasy matter appearance on your hair).
- After washing, condition your hair to restore its style pattern by softening it and bringing your hair fiber luster and mobility.
- Correctly dry your hair to prevent the weight of the water from stretching the wig’s fiber. So, use a towel to pat excess water from the wig. (Avoid intense towel drying may also lead to dull or frizzy hair).
- Avoid using hairdryers as the extreme heat would ruin or damage your hair. According to the Annals of Dermatology, dryers can cause hair damage like dryness, roughness, and sometimes loss of hair color.
Use Rollers in Curling Your Hair
You can use several options to curl your hair, like dowels, flat irons, or curling irons. However, some of these options would require heat- not safe for synthetic hair.
Therefore, the safest and easiest way to curl your hair without applying heat is to use rollers.
While your hair is still wet, split or separate your hair into smaller and more manageable sections. In other words, you must determine the size of hair you wish to curl together.
Let every area be not more than two inches. To make your work easier.
- Clip your hair into two sections, top and bottom, so that you start with either section first. This ensures you get evenly distributed hair curls.
- Once you have divided your hair into smaller sections, roll every area around the hair rollers or perm rod, from the top to the roots- keep the hair neat to get a smooth and uniform roll.
- Vary the roller size and direction to customize your curls. If you need loose or beachy waves, then larger rolls would be ideal.
But, if you’re for smaller and tighter curls new your face, then use smaller rollers.
It would help if you never were afraid to experiment with any style. So, you can either have a vertical or horizontal roller or mix the direction until you get your preferred look.
But if you need a curl that looks like ringlets, then make vertical rolls.
So what happens if you don’t have rollers but want to curl your hair without applying heat?
If you don’t have rollers, wrap your hair around using a double-hair sock. Or tightly braid the sectioned pieces of your hair while gently twisting them into space buns.
Allow the Hair to Dry
You must consider letting the hair on the rollers dry up. So, keep the hair on rolls and leave them sometimes, maybe a night, to completely dry.
Remember, the time your hair takes to dry significantly depends on the size of the hair you wrap around the curling rod.
The hair will curl and dry around the rollers forming a fantastic look. Remember not to use any heat on them, even if you run out of time.
If it is near nighttime and you’re worried your curls will not stay in tack over the night, please wear a protective cap.
Or use a hairnet to ensure your curls are safe; besides keeping your hair safe, it would ensure proper ventilation to prevent any musty or mildew smell.
Remove the Rollers
Congratulations if your synthetic hair has dried. Your next step is to remove them from the rollers.
Twist the curls around your fingers just as it’s wrapped, section after section, and carefully unravel their hair from the rollers.
Gently tussle the curls with your fingers, but never separate or widens them too much.
Set your Desired Style
After you removed the rollers, it’s now time to part the hair into your preferred outlook. You can adjust the curls around until you achieve the look you have always wanted to have.
Therefore, set a friendly and attractive hairstyle that would preserve your curls. And ensure you regularly wash your wigs and maintain your soft curls by applying coconut oil.
Coconut oil has proven effective in ensuring smooth hair extensions and preserving curls. It will give your hair a healthy sheen and protect it against splitting or damage and from changing its color.
Apart from making your hair soft, it contains vitamin E significant for those looking for natural ways to curb dead skin cell accumulation.
Better still, coconut oil has the following health benefits for both natural and synthetic hair:
- Relieve or reduces eczema and skin irritation.
- Increases a person’s metabolism.
- Improve your brain function while moistening your skin.
Commonly Ask Questions
Q. What are some of the best ways to curl my synthetic hair without heat damage?
It would help if you got suitable rollers that do not compress under your hair. Those rollers would not compromise your set and style.
- Spiral wand curls- these are the most common traditional curs, and you only need Flexi rods, hair clips, hair conditioner, and a detangling brush to make a style of your choice.
- Pin curls- it’s a simple curl made by pins. You must ensure you wash your extension before styling your hair.
- Heatless wavy curls- this involves braiding your hair for a wavering design. You only need hair clips, a tooth retains comb, rubber bands, and detangling brush to make your desired style.
- You can also use hair spray to spray your hair for fantastic curled hair.
- Apply curl formers for cute and unique curls.
- You can also get a great curl through a twist out of your hair.
Q. What are the impacts of using heat on my wigs?
The chances are high that heat would make your hair dry and damage them with any repeated use. Your hair will become dull and brittle. Also, you may burn your hair, especially if they are exposed to too much heat.
Q. Can I rehydrate my synthetic hair?
The best way you can prevent your wig from tangling is to run it through cold water. But it would help if you never rubbed it with strands. Run your fingers to remove pieces of soap that may further cause damage.
Curling is one of the easier ways of maintaining a stunning appearance. However, it would be best not to expose your synthetic hair to heat: because it may make them dry and rough or even burn your hair. Therefore, stick to heatless curls as they offer the best way of maintaining a healthy, beautiful, and long-lasting hair extension.