Discretion and long-lasting are among the reasons why most women purchase micro-loop hair extensions.
And apart from the fact that you can easily sleep while wearing them, they also seamlessly blend with different hair depending on the color chosen.
Even better, micro loop/ring hair extensions have become popular because they don’t rely on glue or tape to attach the weft of your hair extension to the scalp.
Hence resulting in a secure, non-damaging, and highly natural enduring look. The micro loops’ small size allows them to be hooked to areas that they previously could not be reached.
Of course, you are excited to start using micro-loop hair extensions. And being that they are easy to apply or remove, that doesn’t mean everyone without little skills can apply them.
Fortunately, we’re making you an expert in using, adjusting, and maintaining micro hair extensions.
So, if you want to have a longer and fuller look that would last over several months, then you must follow the basic guidelines we have outlined below.
Best of luck!
Why I Use Micro Loop Hair Extensions
Micro loop hair extensions are a popular type of hair extension attached to your natural hair using small silicone-lined aluminum rings.
Here are some reasons why you might consider using micro loop hair extensions:
- Length and volume: Micro-loop hair extensions can add length and volume to your hair, allowing you to experiment with different styles and looks.
- No heat or glue: Unlike other hair extensions, micro loop extensions don’t require heat or glue to attach to your natural hair. This can help to reduce the risk of damage to your hair and scalp.
- Reusable: Micro loop hair extensions are reusable, which means you can enjoy the benefits of having longer, thicker hair for an extended period.
- Low maintenance: Micro loop hair extensions are relatively low maintenance once attached. You can wash, brush, and style them like your natural hair.
- Versatility: Micro loop hair extensions come in various lengths, colors, and textures, so you can choose the option that best matches your natural hair and desired look.
However, it’s important to note that micro-loop hair extensions can damage your hair if not installed correctly or if left in for too long. It’s always best to consult a professional hairstylist who is experienced in establishing and maintaining hair extensions to ensure your hair remains healthy and damage-free.
Preparing for The Hair Extension
Preparation is the first step to applying for micro-loop hair extensions.
But how do you prepare?
Simple, consider the type of extension you would love to have.
Remember that there are different types of extensions with different colors, textures, and lengths, among other distinguishing factors.
So you must check the availability of the specific micro loop hair extension you need.
Also, check if the ring is 100% genuine. Plus, you must decide on the length and color of the extension that would best suit your hair.
The extension ranges from black, dark black, dark brown, medium, and platinum blonde. So, choose the type of extension you want.
It would help if you also prepared different tools and equipment to apply for the micro loop extensions. Therefore, browse through the best hair accessories and tools like:
- Combs and clips.
- Micro rings and beads.
- Special pliers for fixing hair extensions.
So, you must ensure you shop with confidence and research for high-quality accessories.
After you have ordered every tool and accessory you’ll need, you can now start the process of applying for micro hair extensions.
Applying for Micro Hair Extensions
The steps below would guarantee an effectively applied extension. But you should not worry if you make mistakes; you’ll be an expert with time.
01. First, ensure you have clean and dry hair- so apply shampoo and condition your hair to straighten and untangle the root of your hair.
02. Pin the section covering your crown: ensure you vertically divide your Natural hair and clip the sections over your head.
03. With a comp, horizontally part of your back braids for a few inches above your neckline. You should then fasten the remaining hair and clip them out of the way. Still, comb through to remove any tangles.
04. Place your hair extension ring or loop on the end of the micro pliers and use the section hanging down at the back of your extension. Then feed the strand of your natural hair through the clear ring or loop (you can provide about 15 of your natural strand).
05. Pull the tab down the end of the ring to ultimately draw the hair through the loop while gripping the microbead towards your scalp. Move the attached loop section to one inch into the scalp so that the bonded stresses flow flawlessly.
06. Use the micro pliers to clamp or flatten the rings in the middle of the loop, ensuring it closes. However, you must avoid pressing the ring very hard as that may damage your hair.
07. Pin the remaining hair tresses upward and repeat the previous proportioning or parting until your desired crown.
08. Unpin the side sections to remove knots with a comb and sparingly apply the bundles. You may not need any side additions of the rinds if your natural hair is more than six inches. So, let go of your crown portion to fall over your micro hair extensions, thus hiding the attachment rings.
09. Comb your hair to blend the rooted and supplemental rocks.
10. Finally, it would help if you trimmed any disorderly strands to ensure a balanced and attractive look.
How to Adjust the Micro Bead Hair Extensions
If you’re wondering how you can increase the lifetime of your extension, then it’s simple. Ensure you adjust monthly to ensure you keep your hair flowing. So:
01. Ensure you always part your back locks over your first airy hair.
02. Once you have done that, pin your braids over your head, get hold of the extension under the clamp head, and press the micro pliers on the outer sides of the rings to turn it into an open circle.
03. Slide the ring and strip higher above your shaft, and only stop when it’s a half-inch from your scalp.
04. You then must press and add strands inside the ring or loop/bead until the strand aligns with its top edge.
05. Finally, pleat the ring in the middle and firmly hold both ends with a micro plier to make it secure. Repeat the process after every month until you decide to change your hairstyle.
How to Maintain and Care for Your Micro Hair Extensions?
No matter the quality and how well your extensions are attached, you must ensure you maintain them if you want them to last longer.
Here are some tips to help you maintain and care for your micro hair extensions:
Brush your Extension- Combing or brushing your hair is one of the most significant ways of ensuring a long-lasting extension.
Regular brushing will help eliminate tangling and matting, which will lead to faster wearing of your hair. So, choose the best brushes that suit your pocket and brush your lock more often to remove knots and boost shine.
Avoid Using Silicone- Based oil shampoos or conditioners close to the clamped beads. This would help prevent slippage. Therefore, treat your hair using your preferred thermal protection products or heat protectants before using dryers, curling, and flat irons. They would help prevent and guard against heat damage that usually occurs after a long and frequent hot styling.
Avoid Swimming- Avoid using hair extensions on pool water or any chlorinated water as they damage your natural hair. Still, keep your hair off the water when either swimming or bathing.
Tie your Hair at the Back While Sleeping- Tying your hair back in a loose braid would help prevent tangles in case of any movement while sleeping.
Be Keen to Avoid Damaging the Joints of The Extensions- you should avoid tying your hair tightly in a ponytail. It’s unsafe for your natural hair as it may cause breakage and weaken the extensions’ joints. Also, using anti-dandruff shampoos and hot oils or head treatment products may cause potential damage to your extensions’ joints.
Removing the Micro Loop Hair Extensions
Just like when adjusting the micro loop extensions:
- You must remove the back layer while opening the first ring with micro pliers.
- Then remove any added cells or segments on the extensions.
- Then remove any added sections or parts on the wings.
- Repeat the same process for every piece until you remain with your rooted hair.
It’s advisable that you keep every bead and everything your remove with the extension.
This may help if you return the extension to your supplier; some suppliers would ask for them. So, package and pack into the return package.
It would be best to remember that you always start with the latest or fresh set of beads when you temporarily remove the extensions.
It guarantees long-lasting and adequately attached hair strands that won’t easily fall off.
Commonly Ask Questions
Q. Can I wash my hair extension? After how long?
This is one of the topics and questions that have received different opinions from several fashionistas or hairstylists. Despite what you have heard, the reality is that you should at least once, especially after extended wear. That should be about once after every 30 days. That is if you wear your extensions every day.
Though your extensions have no scalp, nothing would make them oily. But, you can wash your natural hair more often due to the accumulation of oils from the root of the hair, making it greasy. But if you apply many oily products, they may get greasy too. So consider a cleaning after some time.
Q. After how long should I replace my micro loop hair extensions?
The lifetime of your hair extension depends on how you maintain them. However, most micro loop extensions last about 3-4 months. But you’ll have to check and reposition during maintenance.
Getting micro-loop hair extensions to fulfill your desired look can sometimes be very exciting. However, you must know how to apply and maintain them if they last longer or serve you well.