Petroleum jelly, or petrolatum, has been a popular beauty product for decades. It’s often used as a moisturizer to soothe dry, cracked skin or as a protectant to prevent chafing. However, in recent years, some speculation has been that petroleum jelly can also help eyelashes grow.
In this blog post, we’ll examine this claim and explore whether petroleum jelly is a helpful tool for promoting longer, fuller lashes.
What is Petroleum Jelly?
Petroleum jelly is a semi-solid mixture of hydrocarbons derived from fossil fuels. It is commonly used in various personal care and cosmetic products due to its moisturizing properties.
It’s an inexpensive and widely available product often used as a base for other skincare products.
How Does Petroleum Jelly Work?
Petroleum jelly helps to soothe and protect dry, cracked skin and prevent further damage.
The thick consistency of petroleum jelly also makes it an effective protectant, preventing irritants and other harmful substances from penetrating the skin.
Can Petroleum Jelly Help Eyelashes Grow?
While petroleum jelly has many benefits, little evidence suggests it can help eyelash growth.
However, some still claim it can be an effective treatment for promoting lash growth. Let’s take a closer look at the evidence.
Claims Supporting Petroleum Jelly’s Effectiveness for Eyelash Growth
People believe petroleum jelly can help eyelashes grow.
Here are some of the most common claims:
- Moisturizing properties: As mentioned earlier, petroleum jelly is an excellent moisturizer, and it’s believed that keeping the lashes moisturized may help promote growth.
- Nourishing properties: Petroleum jelly contains vitamins and minerals that could benefit lash health.
- Protective properties: Petroleum jelly forms a protective barrier on the skin, which may help shield the lashes from harmful environmental factors.
While these claims may sound plausible, little scientific evidence supports them.
The Lack of Evidence
Despite the widespread belief that petroleum jelly can help eyelashes grow, little scientific evidence supports this claim.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology warns against using petroleum jelly near the eyes due to the risk of infection.
It’s important to note that eyelashes, like all hair, grow in cycles, and their growth is primarily determined by genetics.
While it’s possible to make your lashes look fuller and longer using makeup or false lashes, you can do little to make them grow faster or thicker.
Alternatives to Petroleum Jelly for Lash Growth
If you’re looking for ways to promote lash growth, a few alternatives to petroleum jelly may be worth exploring. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Castor oil: Castor oil, including eyelashes, is a popular natural remedy for promoting hair growth. It contains ricinoleic acid, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that may help promote lash growth.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is another natural remedy that promotes hair growth. It’s rich in fatty acids and vitamins that can help nourish and protect lashes.
- Lash serums: Various lash serums on the market are designed to promote lash growth. These products typically contain ingredients like peptides, vitamins, and plant extracts that have been shown to promote hair growth.
- Biotin supplements: Biotin is a B vitamin often used to promote hair and nail growth. While little evidence suggests that biotin supplements can promote lash growth specifically, they may be worth trying if you’re looking for a more comprehensive overview of potential alternatives to petroleum jelly.
- Vaseline Lash Serum: While petroleum jelly may not effectively promote eyelash growth, Vaseline has recently released a lash serum containing ingredients such as pro-vitamin B5 and castor oil believed to encourage lash growth. This product could be worth trying for those specifically interested in using a Vaseline-branded product for their lash care.
- Healthy lifestyle habits: While there is no magic formula for promoting lash growth, healthy lifestyle habits can help improve overall hair health. Eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep, and avoiding harsh chemicals and heat-styling tools can contribute to healthier lashes.
While petroleum jelly is a versatile product that can be useful for many different purposes, there is little evidence to suggest that it can help eyelashes grow.
However, there are a variety of alternatives that may be worth trying if you’re interested in promoting lash growth. Various options are available, from natural remedies like castor and coconut oil to lash serums and biotin supplements.
Ultimately, the key to promoting healthy lashes is adopting healthy lifestyle habits and being patient, as lash growth is a slow process primarily determined by genetics.