If you are into hair dyeing, you have probably tried, or you are thinking of trying the color purple. Not only is it bold, beautiful, and attractive, it also comes in various shades that suit different skin types.
However, once you have explored this color and you have decided to try a different one, you may be wondering what next?
Blue is one of the best colors for this job, especially for those who love fantasy colors. It can completely cover over your purple hair without you bleaching your locks or performing any prep work.
So, to answer the question, yes, you can put blue dye over purple hair. But the most important question to ask is how to do it.
Read on to learn how to dye blue over purple.
What Color Fades Purple?
If you want to change your purple hair, this is one of the questions you must be asking.
Well, color selection is an important aspect since choosing the wrong color tone can damage your hair structure. and appearance.
Now, several colors can go over purple. However, the suitable one will depend on the purple shade you have. For instance, if you have light purple an orange dye can cancel it out perfectly.
On the other hand, yellow is suitable for those with darker purple as it neutralizes the effect.
You can choose from fantasy colors like blue, red, or violet. Or you can also opt to return to traditional colors such as mahogany brown or chestnut.
Whatever color you choose, bear in mind these tips;
- A very light color like green or light blonde will force you to bleach your hair first. And you can only apply it to healthy hair.
- If using a darker color, you must first fade the purple before applying your new color.
We must also mention that the color you’ll end up with depends on the intensity of the purple color. That’s why we recommend fading the purple first before applying a new color. Otherwise, you won’t be certain of the results you will get.
You don’t want to end up with a scenario where your new hair is much darker or lighter than you’d intended.
Not only will that be a waste of time, but you’ll also cause unnecessary wear and tear on your hair.
How to Fade Purple before Applying Blue Dye?
The first step to dyeing your purple hair blue is to fade the purple color. Now, you have to remember the dye you used when coloring your purple hair.
This is essential since dyes have different pigments. Those with strong and intense pigments are more resistant thus difficult to fade.
Some dyes may need as many as thirty washes, while others only require four.
But here are some tips you can follow;
- Use a shampoo with ceramides to fade soft to medium purple.
- Try a dishwashing product for fading medium purple or dyes that persists even after 20 washes. However, since this liquid is corrosive, prepare for dryness.
- Use baking soda to fade out intense purple. Make sure to add some shampoo to it for a good wash.
How to Put Blue Dye Over Purple Hair
Blue is a bold color for daring individuals. It’s suitable for those who don’t mind attention and stares from other people.
Now, if you have decided to switch from purple to blue, you have to follow a basic coloring procedure (wikihow.com/Dye-Hair-Blue), which is;
- Lift and remove the purple color using a dye remover and developer. Or a shampoo and conditioner if you don’t want to bleach.
- But if bleaching, make sure to use a bleaching product with warm water and developer with some shampoo.
- Once you have removed the purple, apply your blue dye.
But we should mention that sometimes things may not be that simple. Some factors to consider include;
Your Hair’s Current State- doing another dyeing procedure to exhausted hair will damage it completely.
How You’ll Remove Purple- using a bleaching bath, for instance, turns your hair into pink and can make it porous, which can cause damages.
How to Care for Purple Hair
Purple is among the fantasy colors like blue and red. As such, it is generally a long-lasting dye. But, without proper care, it will not last that long.
Here are some tips for caring for your purple hair;
- Avoid frequent washing as it will strip the color out.
- Opt for a shampoo without sulfates to maintain the color.
- Always wash and rinse using cool water to preserve the color.
- Avoid chlorine from swimming pools.
- Use hair masks and other care products.
- Confidence and self-esteem booster.
- Highlights your natural beautiful.
- Expresses who you truly are.
- Takes long to wash out.
- You’ll attract too much attention.
- It’ can be expensive, as it has to be done by a professional. Otherwise, you risk damaging your hair.
- Needs a high quality shampoo and conditioner.
Frequently Asked Questions
What If I Put Brown Dye on Purple Hair?
It will turn purple-brown since brown can’t cancel purple completely.
Does Toner Damage Purple Hair?
No. But your hair must be healthy first before using the toner.
How Long Does a Permanent Purple Hair Dye Last?
Eventually, the color will begin to fade, even after using color-safe products. The exact time it’ll take depends on various factors. But what is important to remember is that you’ll have to re-dye to maintain the purple color.
Can I Dye Over Purple Hair?
Yes. But the dyeing procedure depends on which color you want next. Note that permanent purple doesn’t fade easily. Therefore, if you want to apply brown, for instance, you’ll have to wait until your hair grows long enough, then cut off the purple part. But you can also use another permanent dye color for quick results.
You can dye blue over purple hair or any other fantasy color, for that matter. However, remember to fade out the purple first, so that you get desirable results from your new color.