If you have dyed your hair red and are now looking to change things up, you may wonder if you can put blue dye over red hair. The answer is yes, but there are a few things you need to keep in mind before making the change.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the ins and outs of dyeing your hair blue over red.
Understanding the Basics of Hair Dyeing
Before we dive into the specifics of dyeing your hair blue over red, it’s important to understand some basic principles of hair dyeing.
Here are a few key things to keep in mind:
- Hair dye works by penetrating the hair shaft and depositing color.
- The color of your hair will affect how the new dye interacts with it.
- Darker colors can cover lighter colors more easily than the other way around.
- Bleaching can help remove the previous dye and make it easier to dye your hair a new color.
Preparing Your Hair for Dyeing
If you want to dye your red hair blue, you must do a few things to prepare your hair. Here are some key steps to follow:
- Wash your hair: Before dyeing it, ensure it’s clean and free of styling products or buildup. Use a clarifying shampoo to ensure your hair is as clean as possible.
- Consider bleaching: If your hair is a particularly bright or vibrant red, consider bleaching it before dyeing it blue. This will help remove some red pigment and make it easier for the blue dye to take hold. However, keep in mind that bleaching can be damaging to your hair, so proceed with caution.
- Do a strand test: It’s always a good idea to do a strand test before dyeing your entire head of hair. This will help you determine how the dye will interact with your hair and ensure you get the desired result.
Maintaining Your Blue Hair
Now that you’ve dyed your hair blue, it’s important to maintain your new color. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Avoid washing your hair too often, as this can cause the color to fade more quickly.
- Use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner to help maintain the color.
- Avoid using heat styling tools, as these can also cause the color to fade.
- Use a hair mask once a week to help keep your hair healthy and vibrant.
Dyeing your hair blue over red is possible, but it does require some preparation and care. Following the steps outlined in this blog post, you can achieve a beautiful blue color that will turn heads. Just remember to take care of your hair and maintain your color to keep it looking great for as long as possible.