If you’re considering putting blue dye over pink hair, you’re likely looking for a new and exciting way to switch up your hair color. While some risks are associated with coloring your hair, achieving your desired look with some know-how is possible.
In this blog post, we’ll answer the question, “Can I put blue dye over pink hair?” by exploring the steps you need to take to achieve the perfect blue hue. We’ll cover topics like prepping your hair, choosing the right blue dye, and caring for your newly dyed locks.
Preparing Your Hair
Before you start dyeing your hair, it’s important to prepare it properly. Here are some steps you should take before applying blue dye over pink hair:
- Wash your hair: Use a clarifying shampoo to remove any buildup from your hair. This will help the dye to penetrate evenly and make the color more vibrant.
- Dry your hair: Make sure your hair is completely dry before applying the blue dye. Damp hair can dilute the dye and affect the final result.
- Protect your skin: Use petroleum jelly or a barrier cream around your hairline, ears, and neck to prevent the dye from staining your skin.
Choosing the Right Blue Dye
When dyeing your hair, choosing the right product is essential. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a blue dye:
- Shade: Decide on the shade of blue you want to achieve. Do you want a bright, bold color or a more subtle, pastel hue? Make sure the dye you choose matches your desired outcome.
- Brand: Look for a reputable brand with good reviews. This will ensure you use a quality product that won’t damage your hair.
- Type: There are various types of blue hair dye, such as semi-permanent and permanent. Consider how long you want the color to last, and choose a dye that aligns with your preferences.
Applying Blue Dye Over Pink Hair
Once you’ve prepared your hair and selected the right dye, it’s time to start the coloring process. Here’s how to apply blue dye over pink hair:
- Section your hair: Divide your hair into small sections using clips. This will make it easier to apply the dye evenly.
- Apply the dye: Using gloves, apply the blue dye to your hair, starting at the roots and working down to the tips. Use a comb to ensure the dye is evenly distributed.
- Let it sit: Leave the dye on your hair for the recommended time. This will vary depending on the type of dye you’re using.
- Rinse it out: Rinse the dye thoroughly with lukewarm water until it is clear.
Caring for Your Newly Dyed Hair
After successfully dying your hair blue, taking proper care of it is important. Here are some tips to keep your newly dyed hair looking vibrant and healthy:
- Use color-safe shampoo and conditioner: Regular shampoos and conditioners can strip the color from your hair. Use a color-safe product to keep your blue hue looking fresh.
- Avoid heat styling: Heat styling tools like blow dryers, straighteners, and curling irons can damage your hair and make the color fade faster. Try to avoid using them as much as possible.
- Protect your hair from the sun: UV rays can quickly fade hair color. Wear a hat or UV protectant spray when you’re outside for extended periods.
- Touch up your roots: As your hair grows, your roots will start to show. Touch them up with blue dye to maintain your desired color.
In conclusion, you can put blue dye over pink hair with careful preparation, the right dye selection, and proper aftercare. Following the steps outlined above, you can achieve a stunning blue hue that complements your unique style.
However, it’s important to note that dyeing your hair can be damaging, especially if you’re using bleach or dye frequently. Consider giving your hair a break between dye jobs and using hair masks or treatments to restore health.
Ultimately, deciding to dye your hair blue over pink is up to you. This could be the perfect option if you’re looking for a bold and exciting change. Just be sure to follow these tips to ensure your hair stays healthy and vibrant.